Yesterday we defined longsuffering as patience, endurance, constancy, steadfastness, perseverance, forbearance, slowness in avenging wrongs. Today we want to look at our longsuffering toward others.
We have seen that God is longsuffering and He is longsuffering to us, but now we must be longsuffering to others. God’s purpose in being longsuffering is ultimately that men and women would get saved. So we must demonstrate God’s longsuffering through the way we live, so that, unbelievers would listen to our witness for Jesus. God has not completed the Church Age yet. That means there is still at least one more person who needs to be saved. Maybe God is waiting for you and I to tell someone about Jesus.
- Ephesians 4:2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
- Colossians 3:12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;
- 2 Timothy 3:10 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,
- 2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
So what have we learned about longsuffering?
- Acknowledge that God is longsuffering
- Remember God’s longsuffering to you
- Be longsuffering to others
Bless someone today with the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Tom Stearns, WASI Chaplain, 907 715-4001