Wasilla Area Seniors, Inc.
“Rooted in Dignity. Serving with Respect.”
1301 S. Century Circle Wasilla, AK 99654 Phone: (907) 376-3104
Wasilla Area Seniors, Inc. was established in 1981 with a mission to provide for the lives of seniors living in the Matanuska Susitna Valley and to enable seniors to live as independently as possible for as long as possible.
The Wasilla Senior Center was founded in 1978 as an activity center. In 1981, Frank Smith donated land and Wasilla Senior Center was relocated, to its current location, and incorporated as Wasilla Area Seniors, Inc (WASI). The building itself was named the Floyd D. Smith Community Center, in loving memory of Frank Smith’s father. Today, in keeping with our mission, WASI provides services and resources to promote health and independence.
In 2020 WASI also began providing services at the Mid-Valley Senior Center in Houston, Alaska.
Housing: Wasilla Area Senior Housing consists of six housing complexes: Knik Manor, Raven Tree Court, Alder View, Susitna Place, Eagle’s Nest, and most recently, Blueberry Point. The five buildings on campus collectively house 128 units for households comprised of individuals 62 years of age and older. Each of the five buildings has a common area for congregate games, puzzles, reading, or TV. Surrounding the housing complexes are large grassy areas and a picnic pavilion complete with a gas grill and gazebo-covered seating. Blueberry Pointe is an 8 unit facility located in Houston. At WASI, we are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.
Nutrition Program: In FY 2020 WASI served over 100,000 meals through our Community Meals and Meals on Wheels programs.
- Community Meals: WASI provides well-balanced, delicious lunches Monday thru Friday from 11:30 am – 12:30 pm. Meals are served at the Wasilla Senior Center 1301 S. Century Circle and at the Mid-Valley Senior Center 11975 W. Mid Valley Way in Houston. ToGo lunches may also be picked up at both locations. The meal menus consist of soup, entrée, vegetables, salad, and dessert. Fruit juices, soft drinks, milk, coffee, and tea are available during meal time.
- Meals on Wheels: Fresh, delicious meals – for all seven days of the week – are delivered by our friendly drivers five times each week throughout the Mat-Su Valley. This program helps to ensure that no senior goes hungry, and helps individuals to remain in their own home and living independently for as long as possible.
Senior In-Home Services: Designed to assist seniors in their homes, allowing them to remain as independent as possible for as long as possible. In-Home services are offered on sliding-fee scale basis and to Medicaid Waiver Community Based Services clients.
- Chore Services: Senior Care Workers help with housework, meal preparation, light maintenance and other activities seniors may find difficult to do on their own.
- Respite Care: Provides substitute in-home care for adults with declining physical or cognitive functions so full-time caregivers can take time for themselves.
- Supplemental Services: Helps low-income seniors maintain a safe and healthy environment to avoid a crisis that would jeopardize their ability to remain independently in their own home. Assists with medical, dental, mobility equipment, and home modification costs not covered by other benefits.
Club 50 Fitness Center: Club 50 is a gym, located on the WASI campus, for individuals 50 years of age and older. Club 50 provides clean, accessible exercise equipment and a variety of fitness classes including: Strong Seniors, Tai Chi, Bingocize, NIA, and more.
- Fall Prevention: Falls are the leading cause of injuries among older adults, causing severe injuries as well as death. Injuries and fear of falling also significantly limit older adults’ independence. Our Healthy Aging Program offers fitness options and educational materials to assist older individuals in preventing falls. Our In-Home Services Program also supports fall prevention with mobility equipment loans, home safety assessments, and limited home modifications, such as grab bars.
Senior Ed is directed toward adults 50+ years who are interested in keeping mentally active and intellectually curious, learning something, and having fun! There will be no tests, no grades, and homework only if you want to! A variety of classes are offered both virtually and in-person, see the calendar for upcoming classes.
- Activities: Our Healthy Aging program also offers activities that promote isolation prevention. Activities include Potlucks, Field Trips, Wii games, card games, arts and crafts groups and classes
Mary Hall Lending Library: The Mary Hall Lending Library has hundreds of books in paperback, audio, and large print format. The library has a computer lab complete with internet access available for public use. WASI also offers classes to seniors interested in becoming computer savvy.
A computer lab is also available at the Mid-Valley Senior Center.
Facility Rental: We have lots of space at both Senior Centers available for your use. For very reasonable prices, you can rent our meeting room, dining room, or other spaces for your event or get-together. If you are providing a free service to seniors, you likely qualify to have the space at no charge.
- Copy, Fax, and Notary Public services
- Chaplain Services and Bible study
- Sunday Christian Service
- For seniors who qualify, WASI is a Commodities Supplemental Food Program pick-up site
- Carrs/Safeway Bread give-away
- We offer a number of seasonal services such as AARP Tax Prep, PFD assistance, garden and greenhouse spaces, and Farmers Market Coupons