The Book of 2 Thessalonians addresses the Persecution, The Day of the Lord, and idleness in view of the Second Coming. Today we will look at Chapter 1, verses 6-10 in which Paul gives us the Purpose of the Coming Tribulation, The Rest of the Coming Tribulation, the Judgment of the Coming Tribulation, the Objects of the Coming Tribulation, the Outcome of the Coming Tribulation, and the Conclusion of the Coming Tribulation.
God’s judgment on the persecutors – Vengeance in Fire (6-10)
- The purpose of the coming Tribulation – God will punish those who have persecuted believers (6)
6 Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;
- The Rest of the coming Tribulation (7)
7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
- The judgment of the coming Tribulation – “In flaming fire taking vengeance”, pouring out the Wrath of God on those who persecute the Saints. (8a)
8 In flaming fire taking vengeance
- The objects of the coming Tribulation – those who reject God and the Gospel (8b)
on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
- The outcome of the coming Tribulation (9)
9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;
- The conclusion of the coming Tribulation – When Christ returns and judges the world, the Saints of all ages will glorify Him. (10)
10 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.
Simply put, persecution of God’s Saints is a death sentence.
Believers in Christ are already the victors. We may be persecuted, afflicted, shunned, have heartache in this world, but our trust in the Lord Jesus Christ gives us eternal life and a permanent home in Heaven.
We have already won!!!
Tom Stearns, WASI Chaplain, 907 715-4001