We need internal illumination!
(Archibald Alexander, 1772-1851)
“When the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all the truth.” (John 16:13)
A genuine Christian is not only taught out of the Word, but by the Holy Spirit. External teaching, however correct, is not sufficient. We need internal illumination by the Spirit. Not that this divine Instructor teaches anything different from the Word. No! He takes of the things of Christ and shows them unto us. He is the Spirit of truth and will guide the disciples into all truth.
What are some of the lessons which the Spirit teaches?
1. The Spirit teaches us the worth of the soul.
2. The Spirit teaches us the value of time.
3. The Spirit teaches us to venerate the holy Scriptures as the infallible rule to guide our faith and practice.
4. The Spirit teaches us of our ruined and condemned state. He gives the soul a glimpse of indwelling sin–by which it is convinced of its total depravity. Oh, what a multitude of evils! What a fountain of impurity! What a mass of corruption! The heart is found to be deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked. There is found nothing in it truly good.
5. The Spirit teaches us to prize Christ above all. “To you who believe–He is precious.” The disciple treasures Jesus as . . .
his infallible Prophet,
his sovereign King,
his sin-atoning Priest.
6. The Spirit teaches us to roll all our burdens on the Lord, and to live outside of ourselves–by daily desiring vital supplies from Christ.
7. The Spirit teaches us the beauty of holiness.
8. The Spirit teaches us the reality and sweetness of communion with God. While many are contented to worship in the outward court–the Christian desires to penetrate into the holy of holies, where he can hear the words, and see the resplendent face of Immanuel.
~ ~ ~ ~
Tom Stearns, WASI Chaplain, 907 715-4001