This is a good reminder of why we are not to love the world or the things in it. Sometimes it does not seem like a big deal. However, if it is in conflict with God’s Word, Christ’s character, or our testimony for Christ do not do it.
“Do not love the world or anything in the world.” 1 John 2:15
- Because the gain of it, is the loss of the soul–Matthew 16:25-26.
2. Because its friendship is enmity to God–James 4:4.
3. Because it did not know Christ–John 1:10; 17:25.
4. Because it hates Christ–John 7:7; 15:18.
5. Because the Holy Spirit has forbidden us–1 John 2:15.
6. Because Christ did not pray for it–John 17:9.
7. Because Christ’s people do not belong to it–John 17:16.
8. Because its Prince is Satan–John 13:31; 16:11.
9. Because Christ’s kingdom is not of it–John 18:36.
10. Because its wisdom is foolishness–1 Corinthians 1:20.
11. Because Christ does not belong to it–John 8:23.
12. Because it is condemned–1 Corinthians 11:32.
13. Because it is passing away–1 Corinthians 7:31.
14. Because it slew Christ–James 5:6; Matthew 21:39.
15. Because it is crucified to us–Galatians 6:14.
16. Because we are crucified to it–Galatians 6:14.
17. Because it is the seat of wickedness–2 Peter 1:4; 1 John 5:19.
18. Because its god is the evil one–2 Corinthians 4:4.
~ ~ ~ ~
Separation from sin and separation to Christ seems limiting. We want no restrictions on our lives. Yet our study shows that God’s limits are for our protection and good. This might be a good list to keep close at hand when tempted to wander away from Jesus.
Tom Stearns, WASI Chaplain, 907 715-4001